WIS, the dominant, legacy NBC affiliate in Columbia, SC, is searching for a Meteorologist to help execute our aggressive First Alert Weather brand and join our talented team of meteorologists. The ideal candidate for this position possesses superior forecasting and storytelling skills. We are looking for a Meteorologist adept in all aspects of meteorology, including forecasting, graphics preparation, digital presentation, social media, and live reporting in the field. At WIS, we are committed to keeping our viewers safe by providing them with the weather knowledge they need to plan their days and protect their families. Our Meteorologists must have a passion for the profession and lead the charge in not only our daily coverage, but when we are threatened by severe storms, tornadoes, hurricanes, flooding, hail, damaging winds, and occasionally ice and snow. That means working closely with newsroom managers and employees to lead the weather discussion and help plan and coordinate our coverage of significant weather events. The weather in the Midlands of South Carolina is dynamic and the community depends on WIS.
· Forecast weather conditions and produce/anchor weather reports on all platforms in a clear, engaging, and impactful manner
· Take ownership and execute our First Alert Weather brand
· Be fluent in the latest weather technology
· Respond urgently to breaking and severe weather events on all platforms
· Write and update detailed daily web stories
· Take part in promotional activities and public appearances
· Ensure all weather content leads the market and meets WIS standards for integrity and production value
· Minimum of Bachelor’s degree in Meteorology or a related/equivalent field
· AMS Seal of Approval preferred
· Minimum 2-3 years experience in weather anchoring preferred
· Superior communication skills and the ability to ad-lib
· Proven track record of forecasting severe storms and hurricanes
· Ability and willingness to work a flexible schedule
· Valid driver’s license and good driving record
Please apply online at https://gray.tv/careers#currentopenings
Gray Television provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Gray Television complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.
To apply for this job please visit gray.tv.